One thing we’ve found that really interferes with getting healthy is a lack of focus. Your attention just starts to drift and then, before you know it, you’re not working out any more and you’re eating junk food again.
Fortunately, you can stay focused if you adopt some fairly simple habits and these are our best tips for staying focused.
10 Ways To Stay Focused
Please note, we’re not suggesting that you implement all ten of these ideas in your life today, that’s likely to be super stressful and distract you from the things you want to achieve.
What we are saying, is try to implement one of these things into your routine now and once you’re doing it without thinking about it, add another and then another until you’re able to give your full attention to the things you want to work on.
- Get rid of distractions – do your work on our strength training program away from your day-to-day stuff, close the door, put some headphones on, ask people around you to not disturb you, there are plenty of ways to stop your attention being stolen away.
- Use the Pomodoro technique – this is ideal for when you’re reading our best mental toughness books, you set a timer for 25 minutes and read, then when the buzzer sounds you can take a 5-minute break, and you repeat this as often as needed.
- Make sure to eat a balanced diet. Lean proteins, carbs and healthy fats keep you fueled and feeling full. The right diet make it much easier for your brain to avoid “hanger” (hungry, angry feelings) and make sure to carry some nuts or other healthy snack to stop pangs between meals.
- Set SMART goals. SMART goal setting is a big topic but if you make sure your goals are specific, measurable, achievable, relevant and timely then you are much more likely to get them done and be able to concentrate on getting them done.
- Make a simple to-do list. Having a list of things that you need to get done can be a great way to concentrate your mind but, you also want to keep the list to a reasonable length, if it’s too long, pick 2 or 3 priority activities and do them first.
- Have a cup of coffee. No, we’re not suggesting that before you do one of our best online yoga classes that you down 10 cups of espresso. But small doses of caffeine have been proven to help people focus. So, don’t be afraid to have a cup when you really need it.
- Use an app to seal off social media. The biggest distraction of modern life is social media (it used to be SMS not so long ago) and the easiest way to take control of social media is to use an app to block it from being accessed at certain times of day and which prevents annoying alerts that interfere with your focus.
- Get some more sleep. We should sleep 7-9 hours a night but many Americans report that they don’t get anywhere near enough sleep. A lack of sleep is proven not just to interfere with concentration but also our ability to remember things.
- Practice mindfulness. Mindfulness, sometimes referred to as meditation, can help you to live in the present moment, it’s easier to focus on things when we’re not preoccupied reminiscing over the past or worrying about the future.
- Group tasks by type to get them done more easily. If you group tasks of a similar nature together and do them in one big lot, you will spend less time changing your focus and coming to grips with new tasks. Single tasking is far more efficient than multi-tasking no matter what the 1980s self-help gurus had to say on the matter.
Final Thoughts On How To Stay Focused
Life is full of competing priorities and sadly, we can’t change that but what we can do is change the way we approach the things we want to do.
By making small changes in our lives, we can dramatically improve our attention and focus, if you manage to implement all ten steps above into your daily life, we guarantee that you will be more productive than ever before!
You can be healthy, you can be happy, you can be succesful, you just have to allow yourself to succeed.