304 North Cardinal St.
Dorchester Center, MA 02124
We’ve invested a lot in our training over the years and that’s why we love these best nutritional yeast brands.
If that’s important to you too, then you’ll want to give these nutritional yeasts (or “nooch” as they’re fondly known) a try.
The biggest name in the business of nooch and certainly one of the best, try it and see.
As the name suggests this is a pure form of yeast with no candida albicans and it’s super tasty.
An ethical company which makes a very tasty yeast that goes fantastically well with popcorn!
This Pure Formula nooch is made from a yeast which is cultivated on beet molasses and a purified cane mixture and this prevents candida albicans (the yeast that causes thrush) from growing in it.
As you would expect from a nooch product this is fortified with B vitamins which are essential nutrients for vegans as they do not occur naturally in plants.
1. This nutritional yeast has absolutely no sodium in it which is good for your health
2. The flavor profile of this product is very well-defined with a nutty cheese-like taste
1. The Vitamin B is provided with folic acid and we’d prefer to it came from folate, instead
2. The texture of this product could be more well-defined
Bragg is the elephant in the room of nutritional yeast, it is, by far, the biggest player in the game and that’s because it’s reliably tasty and has great distribution.
You can get over 2000% of the RDA of Vitamin B12 with just a quarter cup of Bragg’s nooch, that’s more than enough Vitamin B12 for the whole family!
1. If you want to make sure you’re getting enough Vitamin B12, this is your product
2. There is no gluten, no carbs, no sodium and GMO products in this nooch
1. The packaging could be a bit bigger and a bit more up to date
2. Some customers say that this doesn’t have enough strength of taste
If you prefer a less savory taste to your nutritional yeast then Bob’s Red Mill Large Flake offers a sweet edge to the flavor profile that many people really love.
This is, possibly, the closest nooch to a parmesan cheese substitute and it works really well even in sauces.
1. You can’t beat some Bob’s Red Mill Large flake sprinkled over popcorn
2. Bob’s Red Mill is well-liked in the vegan community for its ethical business practices
1. Some customers have reported receiving packets full of powder rather than flakes
2. The packs are a little bit on the small side
When we want to make a macaroni cheese for our vegan get togethers there’s only one nutritional yeast that we turn to – Nuts.com’s Gluten-Free Nutritional Yeast.
This nooch has a creamier texture compared to other products and it’s delightful in sauces where that’s a real asset to the overall texture of a dish.
1. We like the fact that you can buy this in bulk as well as in a small package to try it first
2. We cannot think of a better nooch for pasta sauces
1. It doesn’t have the strongest flavor of the nutritional yeasts
2. We sometimes find ourselves waiting a while for delivery for this product
The one thing that you should be aware of when it comes to Anthony’s Premium Nutritional Yeast product is that it does not contain any added B-Vitamins – that’s because it’s not fortified (though this brand does offer a fortified option too).
While you can’t get your daily dose of Vitamin B12 from this yeast, you can certainly get a lot of your dietary Iron as it contains 40% of your RDA in a serving.
1. This nooch offers a generous amount of protein in each serving
2. We like the gentle taste of this product
1. If you opt for the unfortified product it contains gluten (this is the source of the protein content)
2. This product doesn’t contain Vitamin B12
Once you try one of these best nutritional yeast brands, you’ll almost certainly start to substitute some of the cheese in your diet for this on a permanent basis (that is, if you’re not vegan already).
They really are tasty and they’re very good for your health and not very expensive, so, there’s no reason that you shouldn’t get the benefits of nooch too!