It’s true, baby, we were born to run! Humans are designed for a good sprint. These days most of us can’t imagine hitting the track or the trail without our favorite songs or podcasts at our fingertips.
Everyone needs one of our picks for the best earbuds for running! Get the sounds you want without any extra weight. There’s something for every budget too!
Jaybird Vista True Wireless Bluetooth Sport Earbud
A high-end wireless design that delivers all the sound and excellent sweat and waterproofing too.
Bose SoundSport Free
This brand delivers an unfussy earbud with outstanding audio quality and super battery life.
JBL Under Armour FLASH
The most rugged earbuds that we encountered but the case could be lighter.
Bose SoundSport Free, True Wireless Earbuds
The Bose SoundSport Free earbuds are designed to give you complete freedom of movement.
We’d say that they’ve succeeded admirably.
They are the most comfortable buds we’ve ever tried and they sound great too.
We can’t see any reason not to grab your fitness tracker and head out for a run in these!
Quick Fact: Bose Soundsport headphones use an integrated microphone mounted on the earbud so that you can make calls without a separate mic.
1. They are super comfortable to wear even for very long periods
2. You can’t lose them with the “track my buds” app
3. They won’t break if the weather turns wet
1. Firmware updates can cause more problems than they solve
2. They may be a little too large for small ears
3. We did, very occasionally, lose the connection in our tests
Jaybird Vista Earbuds
Small, light and with an excellent app to give near total control over your experience.
We were very impressed with the quality of sound with these solid and comfortable Jaybird Vista Earbuds headphones and we liked the long battery life which can be used for most runs – though, they’re not quite there for a full marathon just yet.
Quick Fact: They use the cutting-edge JBS1 wireless bluetooth codec to create a zero lag experience that delivers perfect calls every time.
1. Choice of ear gel sizes means a comfortable fit
2. Sweat and splash resistant for workout proofing
3. The design clearly has sports in mind
1. The midtones are a little on the weak side
2. Low ambient noise can amplify internal noise (like the sound of your steps)
3. They don’t always turn on automatically
JBL Under Armour FLASH
We listened to the audiobook of 13 Things Mentally Strong People Don’t Do while using these JBL Under Armour FLASH earbuds and we were impressed with both.
We like the wireless design and the fact that you can use “Talk-Thru” to instantly quieten a single earphone to allow a conversation.
They’re really rugged too – they should handle the toughest runs, no problem.
Quick Fact: They also use an “Ambient Aware” feature that allows you to instantly pipe in all external noise via the microphones on the earbuds at the touch of a single button.
1. They fit really well, never falling out
2. They’re built to last – we don’t see these breaking easily
3. The battery is a generous 5 hours too
1. At this price, you might expect a heart rate monitor function
2. The carry case isn’t the lightest thing
3. They can be a bit quiet
Jabra Elite Active True Wireless Bluetooth Earbuds
Narrowly missing out on a top 3 slot the Jabra Elite Active earbuds are still an excellent pick.
The playback quality of our audiobook of Think Like A Warrior was absolutely superb. Plus, the battery life of these earbuds is quite incredible at nearly 24 hours!
We did feel they were a little expensive but they are a great product.
Quick Fact: You use the Jabra Sound Plus App to control the output from these earbuds and it makes for a very comfortable listening experience.
1. Nice level of noise isolation and the earbuds fit snugly.
2. Quite bassy sound
3. Easy to connect to 2 devices at once
1. Occasional connection dropouts appear to be the norm
2. Take some getting used to – the app could be more intuitive
3. They’re quite heavy
TOZO Bluetooth 5.0 Wireless Earbuds
If you need some running earbuds but don’t have much of a budget for them, then these TOZO earbuds are worth considering.
They are waterproof and the charging time is pretty good as well.
In fact, the only things that suffer here when compared to high-end brands are the sound quality, which is OK but not outstanding, and build quality – they may not last quite as long.
Quick Fact: They are waterproof to the IPX8 standard which means you can go swimming in them or even wash them under a tap.
1. Super cheap – you can’t get better bang for buck
2. Good sound quality for the price
3. The battery life is great
1. Drops connection quite easily
2. Customer care is not well thought of by other reviewers
3. The LE’s blink every 5 seconds, why?